Monday, June 1, 2009

葱油


I make this useful condiment every week or whenever I ran out of it. 葱油 gives that extra flavor to the mee pok dry, fried kalian dish, kuay teow soup or almost anything even salad. Like Mat Salleh add olive oil to spaghetti to prevent sticking. Try using 葱油, oyster sauce, bacon bits to that spaghetti, it is damn shiok!!




Thinly sliced Shallots - 2/3

Chopped garlic - 1/3

Dried chili – optional

Oil – generous amount - agaration

Cut up a handful of shallots into thin slices and fry them in generous amount of oil.

Add chopped garlic when the fried shallots are lightly brown.

I like my 葱油 to be a bit spicy, So I add some crushed dry chili and chili seeds.

When the shallots and garlic are nicely brown, remove them from the heat before it gets over done. Do bear in mind that the browning continues with the residual heat of the oil. Keep the 葱油 in a metal container for other uses.


I would prefer to use a metal/ cast iron shallow pan/skillet when frying these shallots and garlic as I felt that the browning are nicer and more even compared to non stick pans…

No comments:

Post a Comment