Wednesday, July 15, 2009

nineteen tor yu tin


I’m always fascinated by the Indian man frying my favorite mee goreng at the make shift hawker stall next to the Malayan railway station in late 70’s.


The way he grabbed the yellow noodles and chucked them into the kuali with much vengeance.


Wah, so “man”…


The sizzling sound of diced bean curd, pre-cooked minced mutton, diced potato, tau gay and all ingredients mixed into the fiery kuali.


A series of hard knocks on the kuali with the long handle chahn which produced the high pitch “klang klang” completed the showmanship.


He would then add the “secret” tomato ketchup mix last, to give that unmistakable flavor before turning up the heat for a quick final stir.


I would always stand as close as possible to watch the man in action. To feel the intense heat on my cheek and savor the “aroma”. I would “replay” the same scene of me emulating him in frying the mee goreng in my childish mind.


Heat oil in kuali.


Grab a bunch of noodles and throw in.


Fry.


Throw in diced bean curd, pre-cooked minced mutton, diced cooked potato, tau gay, green peas, vegetable.


Fry.


Make a hole in the heap of noodle. Add more oil if necessary. Crack an egg in it.


Fry.


Lower Heat.


Add secret mamak tomato mix, msg, soya sauce.


Full power to the rocket booster!!


That’s the way to fry a mee goreng.


Power!


I relished every moment of that action…


lb would always caution me to back off from that “rocket booster”. Just in case, the close proximity of the propane tank and heating element did not agree with one another and decided to explode…


lb– lao bu / 老母



1 comment: